Saint James Episcopal Church in Great Barrington was built in 1857. It’s a significant and early example of 19th century Gothic Revival architecture in Western Massachusetts, constructed of locally quarried blue dolomite limestone with a central tower, pointed arch windows, and exquisite stained glass.
It was a long path to become the arts and culture center that we are now. In 2008 the wall at the rear of the choir experienced partial collapse, creating a dangerous safety hazard and the building was condemned. In 2010 Sally and Fred Harris, former parishioners and Great Barrington residents, stepped in to rescue the historic church by creating a non-profit entity to purchase the property as multi-use cultural and educational center.
After seven years of extensive renovations and historically accurate restoration, Saint James Place opened in 2017 as a state-of-the-art cultural center and event space where Berkshire County residents and visitors enjoy year-round music, theater, dance, and other performances along with lectures, classes and meetings. It’s also a beautiful wedding venue.
Since opening, over 40 arts groups in need of quality performance, rehearsal and office space have brought their creativity to our stage. Saint James Place is committed to enriching the non-profit landscape in the Berkshires. It is to this end that we built a free and permanent home for the People’s Pantry, which offers a weekly food supplementation to residents of Southern Berkshire County regardless of income and family size.
We also provide affordable office space for small non-profit groups and support each of their missions in any way we can.
Want to learn more about our venue for chamber music, live music, performances, reading, weddings, corporate events and more? Contact Seth Keyes at [email protected].