Saint James Church taking on new role as cultural, community center
Local couple spearheading complex restoration effort
By John Townes
The collapse of a stone wall in a historic church eight years ago set things in motion for he creation of a new multi-use cultural and community center in downtown Great Barrington.
Named Saint James Place, the new venue is expected to open later this year.
The wall was part of the Saint James Episcopal Church, which was built in 1857 for a congregation that had been founded in 1762. Located at 352 Main St. at the southern end of downtown, the Gothic Revival style churches long been a familiar landmark, along with its attached 1911 Parish House.
Continue reading this article in Berkshire Trade & Commerce, November 2016 on pages 22 & 23.